Sunday, February 22, 2009

British-ism of the Week (16/02/09)

Since my flatmate recommended that I save these "British-ism" write-ups, I've decided to post them as blog entries, so they're on the site for posterity (aka procrastination).

"Wotcha" (British saying)

Another text message discovery, this British saying originated in the south of England (so says my South African friend - highly suspect!). Supposedly it means, "Hello, how's it going?" But I have a feeling that it came about through linguistic reductivism/slang that went something like this: "What are you saying?" "Whatcha saying?" "Wotcha sayin'?" And finally, "Wotcha." Although I'm sure by now it's become "Woo." It reminds me of the Canadian saying, "Howzit?" Which means "How's it going?" in Newfie speak. So this gets...
2 out of 5 crumpets
(for how uniquely British it is)

No comments:

Post a Comment