Monday, March 30, 2009

Street Walker

Over the weekend, I started a part-time promotions job as part of an anti-smoking campaign for the NHS. Glad to be doing something productive in my field, and it's been interesting work. Basically, my job involves walking along high streets (main streets to North Americans) and signing people up to join the National Health Service's Smoke-Free program. As interim jobs go, I'm pretty happy with it. No commission so no sales pressure. And it's a good cause.

It's also given me an opportunity to get more comfortable approaching strangers - without having to be inebriated- and to become more familiar with areas of London. This past weekend was spent working in Camden and Kentish Town. Starting tomorrow, we'll be working by Fulham. I hear it's a bit of a rough area, which should make for some interesting interactions. While I haven't had any strange experiences so far, one of my co-workers was chased by a woman in a tutu last week in Camden. But that's Camden for you.

On the copywriter job front, I spent about 12 hours emailing my CV to every ad agency in London on Saturday night. (Thankfully, I had a bottle of wine to keep me company.) I've already heard back from about 20 agencies (out of over 80). Not surprisingly, almost every response has been of the "Uh, no. Good luck with that." variety. But there are a few that might lead to an interview down the road. While I wait to find out, I've signed up for two more weeks of work with the promotional company. I'm sure I'll have my own "crazy tutu lady" story soon enough. Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment