Monday, July 20, 2009

The Passion of the Wine

I just came across this radio spot for the LCBO (Ontario's government-run liquor store) from GJP Advertising and something just doesn't sit right with me about it. The announcer's voice is way too monotonous to make the bland "informative" part of the spot interesting. So it took me a few listens to understand that this spot is all about the "passion" of Spain, which is represented by an irate Spanish woman whose date has shown up two hours late for dinner. I'm guessing the inspiration for the character was Penelope Cruz's character in Vicki Christina Barcelona. And it's not far off. I'm just wondering what this has to do with the wines of Spain and Portugal.

I know it's always easier to critique than create, but I think the concept could have used a better execution. I wonder if they explored how a regular Ontario couple would be affected by the passion of the wines of Spain and Portugal, setting up a scenario in which a white-as-molasses housewife is transformed into a passionate Spanish woman, only to be brought back to earth by her confused husband at the end of her rant. Maybe this was what the spot was trying to convey - that a woman had become passionately Spanish because of the wine - but it just wasn't clear.

As it stands, this spot just isn't relatable. All it tells me now is that Spanish people are overly emotional, but it's all good as long as there's alcohol. I know from experience that this is incredibly true, but I don't think your typical 30-something, wine-drinking couple would relate to this and be motivated to buy Spanish wine. Great concept. Weak execution. Although, I could go for a glass of wine right now, but I always feel that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment